Cyrus IMAP PARTIAL and FETCH commands execute code
|cyrus-imap-commands-execute-code (18199)||High Risk|
Cyrus IMAP Server could allow a remote authenticated attacker to execute arbitrary code. A remote attacker could exploit a vulnerability in the PARTIAL or FETCH command to access memory outside the allocated buffer and launch further attacks or possibly execute arbitrary code on the system.
Upgrade to the latest version of Cyrus IMAP (2.2.9 or later), available from Carnegie Mellon University Web site. See References.
For Mandrake Linux:
Upgrade to the latest Cyrus IMAP package, as listed below. Refer to MandrakeSoft Security Advisory MDKSA-2004:139 for more information. See References.
Mandrake Linux 10.1: 2.2.8-4.1.101mdk or later
Mandrake Linux 10.0: 2.1.16-5.3.100mdk or later
For Gentoo Linux:
Upgrade to the latest version of cyrus-imap (2.2.10 or later), as listed in Gentoo Security Advisory GLSA 200411-34. See References.
For Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (alias woody):
Upgrade to the latest cyrus-imap package (1.5.19-9.2 or later), as listed in DSA-597-1. See References.
Upgrade to the latest imapd package, as listed in OpenPKG Security Advisory OpenPKG-SA-2004.051. See References.
OpenPKG CURRENT: 2.10-20041124 or later
OpenPKG 2.2: 2.2.8-2.2.1or later
OpenPKG 2.1: 2.2.6-2.1.1or later
For Trustix Secure Linux:
Upgrade to the latest cyrus-imapd package, as listed below. Refer to Trustix Secure Linux Security Advisory #2004-0063 for more information. See References.
Trustix Secure Linux 2.2: 2.2.10-1tr or later
Trustix Secure Linux 2.1 and Enterprise Linux 2: 2.2.10-0.2tr or later
For Conectiva Linux:
Upgrade to latest version of cyrus-imapd, as listed below. Refer to Conectiva Linux Announcement CLSA-2004:904 for more information. See References.
Conectiva Linux 9: 2.1.17-28805U90_5cl or later
Conectiva Linux 10: 2.2.10-62338U10_2cl or later
For Ubuntu Linux:
Upgrade to the latest cyrus21-imapd package (2.1.16-6ubuntu0.1 or later), as listed in USN-31-1 November 23, 2004. See References.
For SUSE Linux:
Apply the appropriate fixed packages via the SUSE FTP server or the YaST Online Update, as listed in SUSE Security Summary Report SUSE-SR:2004:003. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- Carnegie Mellon University Web site: Project Cyrus.
- CIAC INFORMATION BULLETIN P-156: Apple Security Update 2005-003.
- Conectiva Linux Announcement CLSA-2004:904: Multiple vulnerabilities in cyrus-imapd.
- Trustix Secure Linux Security Advisory #2004-0063: Multiple bugfixes.
- BID-11729: Cyrus IMAPD Multiple Remote Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2004-1012: The argument parser of the PARTIAL command in Cyrus IMAP Server 2.2.6 and earlier allows remote authenticated users to execute arbitrary code via a certain command (body[p) that is treated as a different command (body.peek) and causes an index increment error that leads to an out-of-bounds memory corruption.
- CVE-2004-1013: The argument parser of the FETCH command in Cyrus IMAP Server 2.2.x through 2.2.8 allows remote authenticated users to execute arbitrary code via certain commands such as (1) body[p, (2) binary[p, or (3) binary[p) that cause an index increment error that leads to an out-of-bounds memory corruption.
- DSA-597: cyrus-imapd -- buffer overflow
- GLSA-200411-34: Cyrus IMAP Server: Multiple remote vulnerabilities
- MDKSA-2004:139: Updated cyrus-imapd packages fix multiple vulnerabilities
- OpenPKG-SA-2004.051: IMAPd
- OSVDB ID: 12097: Cyrus IMAP Server Partial Command Argument Parser Remote Overflow
- OSVDB ID: 12098: Cyrus IMAP Server FETCH Command Partial Argument Remote Overflow
- SA13274: Cyrus IMAP Server Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SUSE-SA:2004:043: cyrus_imapd: remote command execution
- SUSE-SR:2004:003: SUSE Security Summary Report
- USN-31-1: cyrus21-imapd vulnerabilities
- Canonical Ubuntu 4.10
- Carnegie Mellon University Cyrus IMAP Server 2.2.6
- Conectiva Linux 10
- Conectiva Linux 9.0
- Debian Debian Linux 3.0
- Gentoo Linux
- InfoPop UBB 6.x
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 10.0
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 10.0 AMD64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 10.1 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 10.1
- OpenPKG OpenPKG 2.1
- OpenPKG OpenPKG 2.2
- OpenPKG OpenPKG CURRENT
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8
- SUSE SuSE Linux 8.1
- SUSE SuSE Linux 8.2
- SUSE SuSE Linux 9.0
- SUSE SuSE Linux 9.1
- SUSE SuSE Linux 9.2
- SUSE SuSE Linux
- SuSE SuSE Linux OpenExchange Server 4
- Trustix Enterprise Server 2
- Trustix Secure Linux 2.1
- Trustix Secure Linux 2.2
Nov 23, 2004
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this