BMV symlink attack
|bmv-symlink (18823)||Medium Risk|
BMV (BitMap Viewer) creates temporary files insecurely. A local attacker could use this vulnerability to create symbolic links from a temporary file to overwrite arbitrary files on the system.
For Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (woody):
Upgrade to the latest package of bmv (1.2-14.2 or later), as listed in Debian Security Advisory DSA-631-1. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- BID-12229: BMV Insecure Temporary File Vulnerability
- CVE-2003-0014: gsinterf.c in bmv 1.2 and earlier allows local users to overwrite arbitrary files via a symlink attack on temporary files.
- DSA-633: bmv -- insecure temporary file
- OSVDB ID: 12863: BMV Symlink Arbitrary File Overwrite
- SA13793: BMV Insecure Temporary File Creation
- SECTRACK ID: 1012847: BMV Viewer Unsafe Temporary Files May Let Local Users Gain Elevated Privileges
- Debian Debian Linux 3.0
- Peter Samuelson BMV
Jan 11, 2005
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this