Midnight Commander format string attack
|midnightcommander-format-string (18902)||High Risk|
Midnight Commander (mc) is vulnerable to a format string attack. A remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to possibly cause the program to crash or execute arbitrary code on the system.
Reportedly, this has been fixed in the CVS repository.
For Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (woody):
Upgrade to the latest version of mc (4.5.55-1.2woody5 or later), as listed in DSA-639-1. See References.
For Red Hat Linux:
Refer to RHSA-2005:217-10 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For Gentoo Linux:
Refer to Gentoo Linux Security Announcement GLSA 2005-02-24 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- GNU Midnight Commander Web site: GNU Midnight Commander.
- BID-12263: Midnight Commander Multiple Unspecified Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2004-1004: Multiple format string vulnerabilities in Midnight Commander (mc) 4.5.55 and earlier allow remote attackers to have an unknown impact.
- DSA-639: mc -- several vulnerabilities
- GLSA-200502-24: Midnight Commander: Multiple vulnerabilities
- RHSA-2005-217: mc security update
- SUSE-SR:2005:003: SUSE Security Summary Report
- Debian Debian Linux 3.0
- Gentoo Linux
- GNOME Midnight Commander 4.x
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 2.1 AS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 2.1 WS
- RedHat Linux Advanced Workstation 2.1 Itanium
- Turbolinux Turbolinux 7 Server
- Turbolinux Turbolinux 7 Workstation
- Turbolinux Turbolinux 8 Server
- Turbolinux Turbolinux 8 Workstation
Jan 14, 2005
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this