Microsoft Windows Knowledge Base Article 899588 update is not installed
|win-ms05kb899588-update (21603)||High Risk|
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 899588 is not installed, which could allow a remote or local attacker to exploit the following vulnerability:
Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 could allow a remote or local attacker to execute arbitrary code caused by a buffer overflow in the Plug and Play service. An attacker could send a specially-crafted message to an affected system to overflow the buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system or obtain elevated privileges on the system. The level of risk and whether the overflow can be exploited remotely or locally is dependent on the type of operating system.
Apply the appropriate patch for your system, as listed in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-039. See References.
- CIAC Information Bulletin P-266: Microsoft Plug and Play Vulnerability.
- IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force Database: Microsoft Windows Plug and Play buffer overflow.
- Internet Security Systems Protection Advisory August 9, 2005: Windows Plug and Play Remote Compromise.
- Internet Security Systems Protection Alert August 9, 2005: Multiple Microsoft Vulnerabilities - August 2005.
- Microsoft Security Advisory (899588): Vulnerability in Plug and Play Could Allow Remote Code Execution and Elevation of Privilege.
- Microsoft Security Advisory (906574): Clarification of Simple File Sharing and ForceGuest.
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-039: Vulnerability in Plug and Play Could Allow Remote Code Execution and Elevation of Privilege (899588).
- BID-14513: Microsoft Windows Plug and Play Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2005-1983: Stack-based buffer overflow in the Plug and Play (PnP) service for Microsoft Windows 2000 and Windows XP Service Pack 1 allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a crafted packet, and local users to gain privileges via a malicious application, as exploited by the Zotob (aka Mytob) worm.
- Microsoft Windows 2000 SP4
- Microsoft Windows 2003
- Microsoft Windows 2003 Server x64
- Microsoft Windows 2003 Server Itanium
- Microsoft Windows 2003 Server SP1 Itanium
- Microsoft Windows 2003 Server SP1
- Microsoft Windows XP x64 Professional
- Microsoft Windows XP SP1
- Microsoft Windows XP SP2
Aug 09, 2005
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this