BitComet .torrent file publisher name buffer overflow
|bitcomet-torrent-publisher-bo (24229)||High Risk|
BitComet is vulnerable to a buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking of the publisher name field in a .torrent file. By creating a malicious .torrent file with an overly long publisher name, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and cause BitComet to crash or execute arbitrary code on the victim's system, once a user downloads the file and clicks on the publisher name.
Download the latest version of BitComet (0.61 or later), available from the BitComet Web site. See References.
- BitComet Web site: Download BitComet - A powerful BitTorrent Client.
- Full-Disclosure Mailing List, Wed Jan 18 2006 - 16:06:42 CST: Fortinet Advisory: BitComet URI Buffer Overflow Vulnerability.
- BID-16311: BitComet Torrent File Handling Remote Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2006-0339: Buffer overflow in BitComet Client 0.60 allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code, when the publisher's name link is clicked, via a long publisher URI in a torrent file.
- OSVDB ID: 22625: BitComet Client .torrent URI Handling Overflow
- SA18522: BitComet Client URI Handling Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- BitComet.com BitComet 0.60
Jan 18, 2006
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this