git git-checkout-index buffer overflow
|git-gitcheckoutindex-bo (24360)||High Risk|
git is vulnerable to a stack-based buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking in the git-checkout-index module. By sending an overly long symbolic link, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system when the victim performs a checkout.
Upgrade to the latest version of git (1.1.5 or later), available from the git Web site. See References.
- GIT 1.1.5: LWN: Patch: GIT 1.1.5.
- git Web site: git(7).
- BID-16417: GIT Remote Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2006-0477: Buffer overflow in git-checkout-index in GIT before 1.1.5 allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via an index file with a long symbolic link.
- OSVDB ID: 22794: GIT git-checkout-index Symbolic Link Handling Overflow
- SA18643: GIT "git-checkout-index" Symbolic Link Handling Buffer Overflow
- Git GIT 1.1.4
Jan 30, 2006
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this