Apple Mac OS X Safari HTML tag handling denial of service
|macosx-safari-dos (25946)||Medium Risk|
Safari versions 2.0.3 (417.9.2) and earlier running on Apple Mac OS X versions 10.4.6 and earlier are vulnerable to a denial of service attack, caused by unspecified errors in the KWQListIteratorImpl::KWQListIteratorImpl(), QPainter::drawText(), and objc_msgSend_rtp() functions related to the handling of HTML tags. A remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability via a specially-crafted Web page to cause a victim's browser to crash or possibly execute arbitrary code on a victim's system.
Denial of Service
Upgrade to the latest updade for Apple Mac OS X Safari (2006-003 or later), available from the Apple Web site. See References.
- Security-Protocols Advisory April 19th, 2006: Apple OS X Safari 2.0.3 Multiple Vulnerabilities.
- BID-17634: Apple Mac OS X Multiple Security Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2006-1986: Apple Safari 2.0.3 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service and possibly execute code via a large CELLSPACING attribute in a TABLE tag, which triggers an error in KWQListIteratorImpl::KWQListIteratorImpl.
- CVE-2006-1987: Apple Safari 2.0.3 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service and possibly execute code via an invalid FRAME tag, possibly due to (1) multiple SCROLLING attributes with no values, or (2) a SRC attribute with no value. NOTE: due to lack of diagnosis by the researcher, it is unclear which vector is responsible.
- CVE-2006-1988: The WebTextRenderer(WebInternal) _CG_drawRun:style:geometry: function in Apple Safari 2.0.3 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (application crash) via an HTML LI tag with a large VALUE attribute (list item number), which triggers a null dereference in QPainter::drawText, probably due to a failed memory allocation that uses the VALUE.
- OSVDB ID: 24823: Apple Safari Multiple Function DoS
- SA19686: Mac OS X Multiple Potential Vulnerabilities
- Apple Safari 2.0
- Apple Safari 2.0.1
- Apple Safari 2.0.2
- Apple Safari 2.0.3
Apr 19, 2006
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this