xine main.c format string
|xine-mainc-format-string (26216)||Medium Risk|
xine could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code on the system, caused by a format string vulnerability in main.c. A remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability using a specially-crafted request for a non-existent file to possibly execute arbitrary code on the system.
Upgrade to the latest version of xine (0.99.3-1sarge or later), available from the Debian Web site. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Sat Apr 29 2006 - 00:52:57 CDT: XINE format string bugs when handling non existen file.
- xine Web site: xine - A Free Video Player.
- BID-17769: Xine Filename Handling Remote Format String Vulnerability
- CVE-2006-2230: Multiple format string vulnerabilities in xiTK (xitk/main.c) in xine 0.99.4 might allow attackers to cause a denial of service via format string specifiers in an MP3 filename specified on the command line. NOTE: this is a different vulnerability than CVE-2006-1905. In addition, if the only attack vectors involve a user-assisted, local command line argument of a non-setuid program, this issue might not be a vulnerability.
- DSA-1093: xine -- format string
- Debian Debian Linux 3.1
- Xine xine 0.99.4
Apr 29, 2006
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this