ejabberd bitrock_installer.log symlink
|ejabberd-bitrockinstaller-symlink (26221)||Medium Risk|
ejabberd could allow a local attacker to launch a symlink attack. The ejabberd-1.1.1_1-linux-installer.bin file creates the bitrock_installer.log file insecurely. A local attacker could exploit this vulnerability to create or overwrite arbitrary files on the system with elevated privileges or cause a denial of service.
Upgrade to the latest version of ejabberd (1.1.1_2 or later), available from the ejabberd Web site. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Tue May 02 2006 - 06:04:26 CDT: Ejabberd : Symlink vulnerability during installation process.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Wed May 03 2006 - 16:23:22 CDT: Re: Ejabberd : Symlink vulnerability during installation process.
- ejabberd Web site: What is ejabberd ?.
- BID-17804: EjabberD Installer Insecure Temporary File Creation Vulnerability
- CVE-2006-2221: A third-party installer generation tool, possibly BitRock InstallBuilder, as used in products including Process-one ejabberd 1.1.1_1 and earlier, generates an installer that allows local users to cause a denial of service via a symlink attack on the bitrock_installer.log temporary file. NOTE: it is possible that this vulnerability is present in other products that use this installer.
- OSVDB ID: 25215: BitRock InstallBuilder bitrock_installer.log Symlink Arbitrary File Overwrite
- SA19928: ejabberd Insecure Temporary File Creation Vulnerability
- SA19954: BitRock InstallBuilder Insecure Temporary File Creation
- Process-One ejabberd 1.1.1_1
May 02, 2006
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this