hostapd invalid EAPoL frame denial of service
|hostapd-eapol-dos (26239)||Medium Risk|
hostapd is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by a buffer overflow in the wpa.c file. By sending an EAPoL frame with an overly long key_data_length field, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and cause the hostapd daemon to crash.
Denial of Service
For Debian GNU/Linux:
Refer to DSA-1065-1 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
- Debian Bug report logs - #365897: seg fault error in hostapd.
- hostapd Web page: hostapd: IEEE 802.11 AP, IEEE 802.1X/WPA/WPA2/EAP/RADIUS Authenticator.
- BID-17846: hostapd Invalid EAPOL Key Length Remote Denial Of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2006-2213: Hostapd 0.3.7-2 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (segmentation fault) via an unspecified value in the key_data_length field of an EAPoL frame.
- DSA-1065: hostapd -- missing input sanitising
- MDKSA-2006:088: Updated hostapd package to address DoS vulnerability
- OSVDB ID: 25233: Hostapd EAPoL Frame Handling Remote DoS
- SA19966: Hostapd EAPoL Frame Handling Denial of Service
- Debian Debian Linux 3.1
- FreeBSD FreeBSD
- Jouni Malinen hostapd 0.3.7
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2006 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2006
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux LE2005 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux LE2005
May 03, 2006
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this