Apple QuickTime BMP buffer overflow
|quicktime-bmp-bo (26402)||High Risk|
Apple QuickTime is vulnerable to a buffer overflow, caused by improper handling of malformed BMP image files. A remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability using a specially-crafted BMP file to execute arbitrary code on a victim's system or cause the victim's QuickTime application to crash.
Apply the Apple QuickTime 7.1 Update, available from the Apple Web site. See References.
- Apple QuickTime 7.1 Update: About the security content of the QuickTime 7.1 Update .
- US-CERT Technical Cyber Security Alert TA06-132B: Apple QuickTime Vulnerabilities.
- BID-17953: Apple QuickTime Multiple Integer and Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2006-2238: Heap-based buffer overflow in Apple QuickTime before 7.1 allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a crafted BMP file that triggers the overflow in the ReadBMP function. NOTE: this issue was originally included as item 3 in CVE-2006-1983, but it has been given a separate identifier because it is a distinct issue.
- OSVDB ID: 24820: Apple QuickTime BMP Processing ReadBMP() Function Overflow
- SA20069: QuickTime Multiple Code Execution Vulnerabilities
- SECTRACK ID: 1016067: Apple QuickTime Buffer Overflows in Processing JPEG/BMP/FlashPix/PICT Images and QuickTime/AVI/MPEG4/Flash Movies Let Remote Users Execute Arbitrary Code
- VUPEN/ADV-2006-1778: Apple QuickTime Multiple Remote Buffer and Integer Overflow Vulnerabilities
- Apple QuickTime 7.0
- Apple QuickTime 7.0.1
- Apple QuickTime 7.0.2
- Apple QuickTime 7.0.3
- Apple QuickTime 7.0.4
- Apple QuickTime 7.0.8
May 11, 2006
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this