Apple QuickTime Streaming Server RTSP header buffer overflow
|quicktime-rtsp-bo (26424)||High Risk|
QuickTime Streaming Server running on Mac OS X Server is vulnerable to a buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking of RTSP requests. By sending a RTSP request containing a malformed header, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system with the privileges of the streaming server or cause the application to crash.
Apply Apple Security Update 2006-003, available from the Apple Web site. See References.
- Apple Security Update 2006-003: About Security Update 2006-003.
- Full-Disclosure Mailing List, Thu May 11 2006 - 18:02:06 CDT: Apple QuickTimeStreamingServer RTSP Server Vulnerability [MU-200605-02].
- Mu Security Advisory [MU-200605-02]: Apple QuickTimeStreamingServer RTSP Server Vulnerability.
- US-CERT Technical Cyber Security Alert TA06-132A: Apple Mac Products Affected by Multiple Vulnerabilities.
- BID-17951: Apple Mac OS X Security Update 2006-003 Multiple Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2006-1456: Buffer overflow in QuickTime Streaming Server in Apple Mac OS X 10.3.9 and 10.4.6 allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a crafted RTSP request, which is not properly handled during message logging.
- OSVDB ID: 25600: Apple Mac OS X Server QuickTime Streaming Server RTSP Request DoS
- SA20077: Mac OS X Security Update Fixes Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SECTRACK ID: 1016070: Apple QuickTime Streaming Server Buffer Overflow in RTSP Request Processing Lets Remote Users Execute Arbitrary Code
- Apple QuickTime Streaming Server
May 11, 2006
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this