Apple Safari archive code execution
|safari-archive-code-execution (26427)||Medium Risk|
Safari running on Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server version 10.4.6 could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code on the system caused by a vulnerability in the "Open 'safe' files after downloading" option. A remote attacker could send a specially-crafted file archive containing a malicious file which, once the archive is opened, could be copied to the victim's desktop and executed. A remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to execute arbitrary code or overwrite files on the system.
Apply Apple Security Update 2006-003, available from the Apple Web site. See References.
- Apple Security Update 2006-003: About Security Update 2006-003.
- US-CERT Technical Cyber Security Alert TA06-132A: Apple Mac Products Affected by Multiple Vulnerabilities.
- BID-17951: Apple Mac OS X Security Update 2006-003 Multiple Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2006-1457: Safari on Apple Mac OS X 10.4.6, when Open `safe files after downloading is enabled, will automatically expand archives, which could allow remote attackers to overwrite arbitrary files via an archive that contains a symlink.
- OSVDB ID: 25598: Apple Safari Archive Expansion Symbolic Link Target Execution
- SA20077: Mac OS X Security Update Fixes Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SECTRACK ID: 1016069: Apple Safari Archive Symbolic Link Bug Lets Remote Users Execute Arbitrary Code
- US-CERT VU#519473: Apple Safari fails to properly handle archive files containing symbolic links
- Apple Safari
May 11, 2006
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this