Novell NetWare PORTAL.NLM groupOperationsMethod() information disclosure
|netware-portal-information-disclosure (26488)||Medium Risk|
Novell NetWare could allow a local attacker to obtain sensitive information. The groupOperationsmethod() function in the PORTAL.NLM module writes the username and password to the abend.log file in cleartext each time a user logs on to the system. This could allow an attacker to obtain other user passwords.
Refer to Novell Technical Information Document TID2973698 for patch or upgrade information. See References.
- Novell Technical Information Document TID2973698: HTTP Stack Update for NetWare 6.5 SP5 .
- BID-18017: Novell NetWare Local Information Disclosure Vulnerability
- CVE-2006-2185: PORTAL.NLM in Novell Netware 6.5 SP5 writes the username and password in cleartext to the abend.log log file when the groupOperationsMethod function fails, which allows context-dependent attackers to gain privileges.
- OSVDB ID: 25780: Novell NetWare abend.log User Credentials Disclosure
- SA20288: Novell Netware abend.log User Credentials Disclosure
- SECTRACK ID: 1016106: NetWare `PORTAL.NLM` Crash May Cause the Target User`s Password to Be Written to the Log File
- Novell NetWare 6.5 SP5
May 08, 2006
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this