XAMPP multiple files insecure execution path
|xampp-insecure-start-path (26581)||High Risk|
XAMPP uses an unquoted path specification for the FileZilla (FileZillaServer.exe), MySQLAdmin (mysqld-nt.exe) , CGI (Perl.exe), and XAMPP Control Panel (xamppcontrol.exe) services, which are installed in the C:\Program Files\ directory by default. A local attacker could exploit this vulnerability by creating a malicious "program" executable file in the C:\ directory, which would be executed with SYSTEM privileges each time one of the affected XAMPP files is started.
Upgrade to the latest XAMPP beta version (1.5.3-beta5 or later), available from the Apache Friends Web site. See References.
- Apache Friends Web site: XAMPP BETA.
- Apache Friends Web site: Possible privilege escalations in XAMPP for Windows.
- Full-Disclosure Mailing List, Sun May 21 2006 - 11:57:39 CDT: [TZO-072006]-Xampp - Multiple Priviledge Escalation (SYSTEM) and Rogue Autostarthttp.
- Sec Dev Web site: XAMPP - Multiple Priviledge Escalation and Rogue Autostart.
- CVE-2006-4994: Multiple unquoted Windows search path vulnerabilities in Apache Friends XAMPP 1.5.2 might allow local users to gain privileges via a malicious program file in %SYSTEMDRIVE%, which is run when XAMPP attempts to execute (1) FileZillaServer.exe, (2) mysqld-nt.exe, (3) Perl.exe, or (4) xamppcontrol.exe with an unquoted Program Files pathname.
- OSVDB ID: 26145: XAMPP Installation Path Subversion Local Privilege Escalation
- Apache Friends XAMPP 1.5.2
May 21, 2006
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this