PHP cURL library curl_init() safe mode bypass
|php-curl-safemode-bypass (26764)||Medium Risk|
The PHP cURL library (libcurl) could allow a remote attacker to bypass safe mode restrictions, caused by improper validation of user-supplied input by the curl_init() function. A remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability using a file:// request containing a NULL character to bypass security restrictions and gain unauthorized access to arbitrary files on Web servers that are running an affected version of PHP.
Upgrade to the latest CVS version of the cURL library, available from the PHP CVS Repository. See References.
For SUSE Linux:
Refer to SUSE-SA:2006:052 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Fri May 26 2006 - 18:24:51 CDT : cURL Safe Mode Bypass PHP 4.4.2 and 5.1.4.
- PHP CVS Repository: [cvs] Index of /php-src/ext/curl.
- BID-18116: PHP cURL Encoded NULL Character Safe_Mode Restriction Bypass Vulnerability
- CVE-2006-2563: The cURL library (libcurl) in PHP 4.4.2 and 5.1.4 allows attackers to bypass safe mode and read files via a file:// request containing null characters.
- MDKSA-2006:122: Updated php packages fix multiple vulnerabilities
- OSVDB ID: 25813: PHP cURL library (libcurl) curl_init() Safe Mode Bypass
- SA20337: PHP "curl_init()" Safe Mode Bypass Weakness
- SECTRACK ID: 1016175: PHP libcurl Bug in Processing `file://` URLs Containing NULL Characters Lets Users Bypass Safe Mode Restrictions
- SUSE-SA:2006:052: php4php5 security update
- SUSE-SR:2006:022: SUSE Security Summary Report
- VUPEN/ADV-2006-2055: PHP curl_init() Function Null Byte Character Safe Mode Bypass Vulnerability
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2006
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2006 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux LE2005 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux LE2005
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 3.0
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 3.0 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Multi Network Firewall 2.0
- Novell Linux POS 9
- Novell Open Enterprise Server
- Novell Open Enterprise Server
- Novell SLE SDK 10
- Novell UnitedLinux 1.0
- PHP PHP 4.4.2
- PHP PHP 5.1.4
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8
- SUSE SuSE Linux 10.0
- SUSE SuSE Linux 10.1
- SUSE SuSE Linux 9.2
- SUSE SuSE Linux 9.3
- SuSE SuSE Linux OpenExchange Server 4
- SuSE SuSE Linux Retail Solution 8
- SuSE SuSE Linux School Server
- SuSE SuSE Linux Standard Server 8
- SuSE SuSE SLES 10
- SuSE SuSE SLES 9
May 26, 2006
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.