wvWare wv2 library Word document integer overflow
|wvware-wv2-word-overflow (27184)||High Risk|
The wvWare wv2 library is vulnerable to an integer overflow in the word_helper.h file. If a remote attacker could persuade a victim to open a specially-crafted Microsoft Word document with an application that utilizes the wv2 library, the attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the victim's system.
Upgrade to the latest version of wv2 (0.2.3 or later), available from SourceForge.net. See References.
For Debian GNU/Linux:
Refer to DSA-1100-1 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For Ubuntu Linux:
Refer to USN-300-1 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For Gentoo Linux:
Refer to Gentoo Linux Security Announcement GLSA 2006-06-24 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for patch or upgrade information.
- SourceForge.net: wvWare.
- SourceForge.net: Files: wvWare - File Release Notes and Changelog - Release Name: 0.2.3.
- BID-18437: wv2 Remote Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2006-2197: Integer overflow in wv2 before 0.2.3 might allow context-dependent attackers to execute arbitrary code via a crafted Microsoft Word document.
- DSA-1100: wv2 -- integer overflow
- GLSA-200606-24: wv2: Integer overflow
- MDKSA-2006:109: Updated wv2 packages fix vulnerability
- OSVDB ID: 26512: wvWare wv2 Library Overflow
- SA20665: wvWare wv2 Library Integer Overflow Vulnerability
- SECTRACK ID: 1016313: wvWare wv2 Integer Overflow in Processing Word Documents Permits Code Execution
- SUSE-SR:2006:015: SUSE Security Summary Report
- USN-300-1: wv2 vulnerability
- VUPEN/ADV-2006-2350: wvWare wv2 Word Document Handling Client-Side Integer Overflow Vulnerability
- Canonical Ubuntu 5.04
- Canonical Ubuntu 5.10
- Canonical Ubuntu 6.06 LTS
- Debian Debian Linux 3.1
- Gentoo Linux
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2006
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2006 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 3.0 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 3.0
- wvWare wv2 prior to 0.2.3
Jun 12, 2006
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this