Webroot Spy Sweeper archive Compression Sweep bypass
|spysweeper-archive-security-bypass (27266)||Medium Risk|
Webroot Spy Sweeper could allow a remote attacker to bypass "Compression Sweep" security restrictions. Compression Sweep only detects malware in files compressed with the ZIP compression format. An attacker could exploit this vulnerability by sending a potential victim malware that is compressed using other compression formats, which could allow the attacker to execute malicious code on the victim's system, if the victim extracts the malicious file.
No remedy available as of September 1, 2014.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Tue Jun 20 2006 - 08:07:40 CDT : Multiple Bypass and Integrity Lost Vulnerabilities.
- Webroot Software, Inc. Web site: Webroot Software | Remove Spyware and adware from your PC or laptop.
- CVE-2006-6960: The Compression Sweep feature in WebRoot Spy Sweeper 4.5.9 and earlier does not handle non-ZIP archives, which allows remote attackers to bypass the malware detection via files with (1) RAR, (2) GZ, (3) TAR, (4) CAB, or (5) ACE compression.
- OSVDB ID: 27536: SpySweeper Multiple Compression Method Scan Bypass
- Webroot Spy Sweeper 184.108.40.2069 and prior
Jun 20, 2006
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this