OpenOffice.org XML document buffer overflow
|openoffice-xml-document-bo (27571)||High Risk|
OpenOffice.org is vulnerable to a heap-based buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking of XML documents. By creating a malformed OpenOffice XML document and hosting it on a Web site or sending it to a potential victim as an email attachment, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system or cause the affected application to crash, once the document is opened.
Refer to OpenOffice.org Security Bulletin 2006-06-29 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References. See References.
For Debian GNU/Linux:
Refer to DSA-1104-2 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For Sun Solaris:
Refer to Sun Alert ID: 102501 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For Red Hat Linux:
Refer to RHSA-2006:0573-10 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For Gentoo Linux:
Refer to Gentoo Linux Security Announcement GLSA 2006-07-12 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For SUSE Linux:
Refer to SUSE-SA:2006:040 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- NGSSoftware Advisory 30/06/06: High Risk Vulnerability in the OpenOffice Suite.
- OpenOffice.org Security Bulletin 2006-06-29: Security Bulletin 2006-06-29.
- Sun Alert ID: 102501: Security Vulnerability With Malformed XML Documents in StarOffice/ StarSuite.
- ASA-2006-134: openoffice.org security update (RHSA-2006-0573)
- BID-18739: OpenOffice XML File Format Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2006-3117: Heap-based buffer overflow in OpenOffice.org (aka StarOffice) 1.1.x up to 1.1.5 and 2.0.x before 2.0.3 allows user-assisted attackers to execute arbitrary code via a crafted OpenOffice XML document that is not properly handled by (1) Calc, (2) Draw, (3) Impress, (4) Math, or (5) Writer, aka File Format / Buffer Overflow Vulnerability.
- DSA-1104: openoffice.org -- several vulnerabilities
- GLSA-200607-12: OpenOffice.org: Multiple vulnerabilities
- MDKSA-2006:118: Updated OpenOffice.org packages fix various vulnerabilities
- RHSA-2006-0573: openoffice.org security update
- SA20867: OpenOffice Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SA20911: StarOffice / StarSuite Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SECTRACK ID: 1016414: OpenOffice.org Bugs Let Java Scripts Escape the Sandbox, Macro Code Be Executed, or Arbitrary Code Be Executed on the Target System
- SUSE-SA:2006:040: OpenOffice_org security problems
- Canonical Ubuntu 5.04
- Canonical Ubuntu 5.10
- Canonical Ubuntu 6.06 LTS
- Debian Debian Linux 3.1
- Gentoo Linux
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2006
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2006 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 3.0
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 3.0 X86_64
- Novell Linux Desktop 9
- OpenOffice OpenOffice.org 1.1.x
- OpenOffice OpenOffice.org 2.0.x
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 ES
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 AS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 Desktop
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 WS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 ES
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 Desktop
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 AS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 WS
- SUSE SuSE Linux 10.0
- SUSE SuSE Linux 10.1
- SUSE SuSE Linux 9.1
- SUSE SuSE Linux 9.2
- SUSE SuSE Linux 9.3
- SuSE SuSE Linux Desktop 1.0
- Turbolinux Turbolinux FUJI
Jun 29, 2006
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this