Microsoft Internet Explorer HtmlDlgSafeHelper ActiveX object denial of service
|ie-htmldlgsafehelper-dos (27649)||Medium Risk|
Microsoft Internet Explorer is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by a NULL pointer dereference that can occur when processing a malformed HtmlDlgSafeHelper ActiveX object with the "fonts" property set. A remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to cause a victim's browser to crash, if the attacker could persuade the victim to visit a malicious Web page.
Denial of Service
No remedy available as of April 1, 2014.
- Browser Fun Blog Monday, July 10, 2006: MoBB #11: HtmlDlgSafeHelper fonts .
- BID-18929: Microsoft Internet Explorer HtmlDlgSafeHelper Remote Denial Of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2006-3511: Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP SP2 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) by setting the fonts property of the HtmlDlgSafeHelper object, which triggers a null dereference.
- OSVDB ID: 27055: Microsoft IE HtmlDlgSafeHelper fonts Property NULL Dereference
- VUPEN/ADV-2006-2743: Microsoft Internet Explorer HTML Editing Component Denial of Service Vulnerability
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 SP2
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1
Jul 10, 2006
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.