AdPlug DMO file buffer overflow
|adplug-dmo-file-bo (27670)||High Risk|
AdPlug is vulnerable to a heap-based buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking of DMO files by the CdmoLoader::load function. By creating a malicious DMO file, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system or cause the application to crash, if the attacker could persuade a victim to open the malicious file.
Apply the latest patch for this vulnerability (dated 05 Jul 2006 or later), available from the AdPlug CVS repository. See References.
For Gentoo Linux (Audacious):
Refer to Gentoo Linux Security Announcement GLSA 2006-07-13 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For Gentoo Linux:
Refer to Gentoo Linux Security Announcement GLSA 200609-06 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
- AdPlug CVS repository: SourceForge.net: Files.
- AdPlug Web site: AdPlug - A free AdLib sound player library.
- Luigi Auriemma Advisory 06 Jul 2006: Various heap and stack overflow bugs in AdPlug library 2.0 (CVS 04 Jul 2006).
- BID-18859: AdPlug Multiple Remote File Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2006-3582: Multiple heap-based buffer overflows in Audacious AdPlug 2.0 and earlier allow remote user-assisted attackers to execute arbitrary code via the size specified in the package header of (1) CFF, (2) MTK, (3) DMO, and (4) U6M files.
- GLSA-200607-13: Audacious: Multiple heap and buffer overflows
- GLSA-200609-06: AdPlug: Multiple vulnerabilities
- OSVDB ID: 27042: AdPlug cff.cpp CFF File Unpacking Overflow
- OSVDB ID: 27043: AdPlug mtk.cpp MTK File Unpacking Overflow
- OSVDB ID: 27044: AdPlug dmo.cpp DMO File Unpacking Overflow
- OSVDB ID: 27047: AdPlug u6m.cpp U6M File Unpacking Overflow
- SA20972: AdPlug Multiple Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
- SA21238: Audacious AdPlug Multiple Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
- VUPEN/ADV-2006-2697: AdPlug Multiple File Formats Handling Client-Side Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
- AdPlug AdPlug 04Jul2006 and prior
- AdPlug AdPlug 2.0 and prior
- Gentoo Linux
Jul 06, 2006
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.