LessTif libXm privilege escalation
|lestif-libxm-privilege-escalation (28298)||High Risk|
LessTif could allow a local attacker to gain elevated privileges on the system, caused by improper validation in the DEBUG_FILE environment variable. A local attacker could exploit this vulnerability to create world-writable files with root privileges by executing a setuid binary that is linked with the libXm library.
No remedy available as of September 1, 2014.
- KAROL.WIESEK.PL Advisory : Lesstif insecure file creation .
- LessTif Web site: LessTif Web site.
- BID-19430: LessTif Debug Feature Local Arbitrary File Creation Vulnerability
- CVE-2006-4124: The libXm library in LessTif 0.95.0 and earlier allows local users to gain privileges via the DEBUG_FILE environment variable, which is used to create world-writable files when libXm is run from a setuid program.
- OSVDB ID: 27878: LessTif libXm library DEBUG_FILE Variable Symlink Local Privilege Escalation
- SA21428: LessTif "DEBUG_FILE" Privilege Escalation Vulnerability
- LessTif.org Open Source Project LessTif 0.93.94-4
Aug 09, 2006
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this