Compression Plus ZOO buffer overflow
|compressionplus-zoo-bo (28693)||High Risk|
The Compression Plus library, used in multiple software products, is vulnerable to a stack-based buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking in the CP5DLL32.DLL file. By creating a malicious ZOO archive and persuading a victim to open or decompress the malicious archive, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system.
For BeCubed Compression Plus:
Upgrade to the patched version of Compression Plus (version 5 sp 14), available from the BeCubed Software Web site. See References.
For Tumbleweed MailGate Email Firewall:
Upgrade to the patched version of MailGate Email Firewall reportedly available from the Tumbleweed MailGate Email Firewall Web site. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- BeCubed Software, Inc. Web site: Compression Plus 5.0.
- Canyon Software Home page: Canyon Software.
- Full-Disclosure Mailing List, Thu Aug 31 2006 - 14:16:55 CDT: Compression Plus and Tumblweed EMF Stack Overflow.
- Tumbleweed MailGate Web site: MailGate Email Firewall.
- VCOM PowerDesk Pro Web site: PowerDesk Pro.
- BID-19796: Compression Plus Zoo Format Stack Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2006-4554: Stack-based buffer overflow in the ReadFile function in the ZOO-processing exports in the BeCubed Compression Plus before 188.8.131.52, as used in products including (1) Tumbleweed EMF, (2) VCOM/Ontrack PowerDesk Pro, (3) Canyon Drag and Zip, (4) Canyon Power File, and (5) Canyon Power File Gold, allow context-dependent attackers to execute arbitrary code via an inconsistent size parameter in a ZOO file header.
- OSVDB ID: 28371: Compression Plus CP5DLL32.DLL ZOO Archive Header Processing Overflow
- SA21714: Compression Plus ZOO Archive Processing Buffer Overflow
- SA21718: Tumbleweed EMF ZOO Archive Processing Buffer Overflow
- SA21720: VCOM PowerDesk Pro ZOO Archive Processing Buffer Overflow
- SA21750: Drag And Zip Zoo Archive Processing Buffer Overflow
- SA21751: Power File Gold Zoo Archive Processing Buffer Overflow
- BeCubed Software Compression Plus 5.0
- Canyon Software Drag And Zip 3.5b
- Canyon Software Power File
- Canyon Software Power File Gold 1.12
- Tumbleweed MailGate Email Firewall 6.0
- Tumbleweed MailGate Email Firewall 6.1
- Tumbleweed MailGate Email Firewall 6.2
- VCOM Products PowerDesk Pro 184.108.40.206
- VCOM Products PowerDesk Pro 220.127.116.11
Aug 31, 2006
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.