Cisco IOS VTP version denial of service
|cisco-ios-vtp-version-dos (28924)||Medium Risk|
Cisco IOS running on devices with VTP (VLAN Trunking Protocol) Operating Mode set to "client" or "server" are vulnerable to a denial of service attack. A remote attacker on the local network segment could exploit this vulnerability by sending a specially-crafted packet with the VTP version field value set to 2 to cause the device to reset, resulting in a denial of service.
Denial of Service
Refer to cisco-sr-20060913-vtp for upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Wed Sep 13 2006 - 07:18:41 CDT : Cisco IOS VTP issues.
- cisco-sr-20060913-vtp: Cisco Security Response: Cisco VLAN Trunking Protocol Vulnerabilities.
- BID-19998: Cisco IOS Multiple VLAN Trunking Protocol Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2006-4774: The VLAN Trunking Protocol (VTP) feature in Cisco IOS 12.1(19) allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service by sending a VTP version 1 summary frame with a VTP version field value of 2.
- OSVDB ID: 28775: Cisco IOS VTP Version Field DoS
- OSVDB ID: 33013: Cisco IOS Unspecified Malformed VLAN Trunking Protocol (VTP) DoS
- SA21896: Cisco IOS VTP Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SECTRACK ID: 1016843: Cisco IOS VLAN Trunking Protocol Bugs Let Remote Users Deny Service and Execute Arbitrary Code
- US-CERT VU#821420: Cisco IOS fails to properly handle summary packets in the VLAN Trunking Protocol
- Cisco IOS 12.1(19)
Sep 13, 2006
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.