Cisco IOS VTP VLAN name buffer overflow
|cisco-ios-vtp-vlan-name-bo (28927)||High Risk|
Cisco IOS is vulnerable to a heap-based buffer overflow in the VTP (VLAN Trunking Protocol) feature. By sending a VTP summary advertisement containing a VLAN name of more than 100 characters, a remote attacker who can send VTP updated to an affected device could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the vulnerable device.
Refer to cisco-sr-20060913-vtp for upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Wed Sep 13 2006 - 07:18:41 CDT : Cisco IOS VTP issues.
- cisco-sr-20060913-vtp: Cisco Security Response: Cisco VLAN Trunking Protocol Vulnerabilities.
- BID-19998: Cisco IOS Multiple VLAN Trunking Protocol Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2006-4776: Heap-based buffer overflow in the VLAN Trunking Protocol (VTP) feature in Cisco IOS 12.1(19) allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a long VLAN name in a VTP type 2 summary advertisement.
- OSVDB ID: 28777: Cisco IOS VTP VLAN Name Overflow
- SA21896: Cisco IOS VTP Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SECTRACK ID: 1016843: Cisco IOS VLAN Trunking Protocol Bugs Let Remote Users Deny Service and Execute Arbitrary Code
- US-CERT VU#542108: Cisco IOS contains buffer overflow in VTP VLAN name handling
- Cisco IOS 12.1(19)
Sep 13, 2006
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this