McAfee VirusScan On-Access security bypass
|mcafee-virusscan-onaccess-security-bypass (28971)||Medium Risk|
McAfee VirusScan could allow a local attacker to bypass security settings caused by a vulnerability in the On-Access system tray icon. The On-Access system tray icon for enabling or disabling the security features is accessible for a few seconds after being loaded or accessed for the first time. A local attacker could disable the security setting, leaving the system vulnerable and bypassing settings that were locked by the administrator.
No remedy available as of September 1, 2014.
- Full-Disclosure Mailing List, Sun Sep 17 2006 - 16:25:12 CDT: McAfee VirusScan Enterprise - disabling the client side "On-Access Scan".
- McAfee Web site: McAfee VIrusScan Enterprise 8.0i - Integrated AntiVirus Intrusion Prevention - SMB.
- CVE-2006-4886: The VirusScan On-Access Scan component in McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 7.1.0 and Scan Engine 4.4.00 allows local privileged users to bypass security restrictions and disable the On-Access Scan option by opening the program via the task bar and quickly clicking the Disable button, possibly due to an interface-related race condition.
- OSVDB ID: 31294: McAfee VirusScan On-Access Scan Local Bypass
- McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 7.1.0
Sep 17, 2006
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.