KDE KsIRC PRIVMSG buffer overflow
|ksirc-privmsg-bo (31134)||Low Risk|
KDE KsIRC is vulnerable to a buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking of private messages. By sending an overly long PRIVMSG to a KsIRC client, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system or cause the application to crash.
Refer to KDE Security Advisory 20070109-1 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For Mandriva Linux:
Refer to MDKSA-2007:009 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For Ubuntu Linux:
Refer to USN-409-1 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For Gentoo Linux:
Refer to Gentoo Linux Security Announcement GLSA 200701-26 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For Turbolinux (KDE):
Refer to TLSA-2007-15 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- Debian - KDE IRC client Web page: Ksirc package.
- KDE Security Advisory 20070109-1: ksirc denial of service vulnerability.
- BID-21790: KSirc IRC Client Remote PRIVMSG Denial of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2006-6811: KsIRC 1.3.12 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) via a long PRIVMSG string when connecting to an Internet Relay Chat (IRC) server, which causes an assertion failure and results in a NULL pointer dereference. NOTE: this issue was originally reported as a buffer overflow.
- GLSA-200701-26: KSirc: Denial of Service vulnerability
- MDKSA-2007:009: Updated kdenetwork packages fix ksirc vulnerability
- OSVDB ID: 33443: KDE KsIRC PRIVMSG String Remote DoS
- SECTRACK ID: 1017453: KSirc Client PRIVMSG Buffer Overflow May Let Remote Users Execute Arbitrary Code
- Canonical Ubuntu 5.10
- Canonical Ubuntu 6.06 LTS
- Canonical Ubuntu 6.10
- Gentoo Linux
- KDE KDE 3.5.5
- KDE Ksirc 1.3.12
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 3.0
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 3.0 X86_64
- Turbolinux Turbolinux FUJI
- Turbolinux Turbolinux wizpy
Dec 26, 2006
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this