VLC Media Player udp:// format string
|vlcmediaplayer-udp-format-string (31226)||High Risk|
VLC Media Player could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary commands on the system, caused by a format string vulnerability in the handling of the udp:// URL handler. By persuading a victim to follow a specially-crafted udp:// URL containing format string specifiers, a remote attacker could execute arbitrary commands on the system with the privileges of the victim.
For Gentoo Linux:
Refer to Gentoo Linux Security Announcement GLSA 200701-24 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For Debian GNU/Linux:
Refer to DSA-1252-1 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For SUSE Linux (xine):
Refer to SUSE-SA:2007:013 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- MOAB-02-01-2007: VLC Media Player udp:// Format String Vulnerability.
- VLC Media Player Web site: VideoLAN - Free Software and Open Source video streaming solution for every OS!.
- BID-21852: VideoLan VLC Media Player Remote Format String Vulnerability
- CVE-2007-0017: Multiple format string vulnerabilities in (1) the cdio_log_handler function in modules/access/cdda/access.c in the CDDA (libcdda_plugin) plugin, and the (2) cdio_log_handler and (3) vcd_log_handler functions in modules/access/vcdx/access.c in the VCDX (libvcdx_plugin) plugin, in VideoLAN VLC 0.7.0 through 0.8.6 allow user-assisted remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via format string specifiers in an invalid URI, as demonstrated by a udp://-- URI in an M3U file.
- DSA-1252: vlc -- format string
- GLSA-200701-24: VLC media player: Format string vulnerability
- MDKSA-2007:027: Updated xine-ui packages fix vulnerabilities
- MDKSA-2007:154: Updated xine-ui packages fix denial of service and arbitrary code execution
- OSVDB ID: 31163: VLC Media Player udp:// URI Handling Format String
- OSVDB ID: 31666: xine udp:// URI Handling Format String
- SA23592: VLC Media Player "udp://" URI Handling Format String Vulnerability
- SECTRACK ID: 1017464: VLC Media Player udp:// URL Handler Format String Bug Lets Remote Users Execute Arbitrary Code
- SUSE-SA:2007:013: xine format string problems
- Debian Debian Linux 3.1
- Gentoo Linux
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007.1 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007.1
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 3.0
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 3.0 X86_64
- Novell OpenSUSE 10.2
- Novell SLE SDK 10
- SUSE SuSE Linux 10.0
- SUSE SuSE Linux 10.1
- SUSE SuSE Linux 9.3
- SuSE SuSE SLED 10
- SuSE SuSE SLES 9
- VideoLAN VLC Media Player 0.8.6
Jan 02, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.