OpenOffice.org and StarOffice/Office Suite WMF and EMF buffer overflow
|openoffice-wmf-emf-bo (31257)||High Risk|
OpenOffice.org and StarOffice/Office Suite are vulnerable to multiple heap-based buffer overflows, caused by improper bounds checking of META_ESCAPE, EMR_POLYPOLYGON, and EMR_POLYPOLYGON16 records in WMF and EMF files. By creating a specially-crafted WMF or EMF file and persuading a victim to open the file, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system with the privileges of the victim.
Refer to OpenOffice.org Issue 70042 for patch information. See References.
For Red Hat Linux:
Refer to RHSA-2007:0001-3 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For SUSE Linux:
Refer to SUSE Security Announcement SUSE-SA:2007:001 for patch, upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
For StarOffice and StarSuite::
Refer to Sun Alert ID: 102735 for patch or upgrade information. See References.
For Debian GNU/Linux:
Refer to DSA-1246-1 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For Ubuntu Linux:
Refer to USN-406-1 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For Gentoo Linux:
Refer to Gentoo Linux Security Announcement GLSA 200701-07 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For Mandriva Linux:
Refer to Mandriva Linux Security Advisory MDKSA-2007:006 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- Full-Disclosure Mailing List, Wed Jan 03 2007 - 21:41:27 CST: OpenOffice.org issued a WMF code execution fix.
- NGSSoftware Advisory January 4th, 2007: High Risk Vulnerabilities in the StarOffice Suite.
- OpenOffice.org Issue 70042: catch out out bounds wmf/emf values.
- OpenOffice.org Web site: OpenOffice.org.
- Sun Alert ID: 102735: Security Vulnerability With StarOffice/StarSuite Versions 6, 7 and 8 Related to the '.wmf' File Format.
- ASA-2007-016: OpenOffice.org security update (RHSA-2007-0001)
- ASA-2007-035: Security Vulnerability With StarOffice/StarSuite Versions 6 7 and 8 Related to the .wmf File Format (SUN 102735)
- CVE-2006-5870: Multiple integer overflows in OpenOffice.org (OOo) 2.0.4 and earlier, and possibly other versions before 2.1.0; and StarOffice 6 through 8; allow user-assisted remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a crafted (a) WMF or (b) EMF file that triggers heap-based buffer overflows in (1) wmf/winwmf.cxx, during processing of META_ESCAPE records; and wmf/enhwmf.cxx, during processing of (2) EMR_POLYPOLYGON and (3) EMR_POLYPOLYGON16 records.
- DSA-1246: openoffice.org -- buffer overflow
- GLSA-200701-07: OpenOffice.org: EMF/WMF file handling vulnerabilities
- MDKSA-2007:006: Updated OpenOffice.org packages fix WMF vulnerability
- OSVDB ID: 32610: OpenOffice.org (OOo) wmf/winwmf.cxx WMF META_ESCAPE Record Parsing Overflow
- OSVDB ID: 32611: OpenOffice.org (OOo) wmf/enhwmf.cxx EMF Multiple Record Handling Overflow
- RHSA-2007-0001: Important: openoffice.org security update
- SA23600: StarOffice WMF/EMF Processing Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
- SA23612: OpenOffice WMF/EMF Processing Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
- SECTRACK ID: 1017466: OpenOffice.org Office Suite Integer Overflow in Processing WMF/EMF Files Lets Remote Users Execute Arbitrary Code
- SUSE-SA:2007:001: OpenOffice_org WMF buffer overflows
- US-CERT VU#220288: OpenOffice fails to properly process WMF and EMF files
- USN-406-1: OpenOffice.org vulnerability
- VUPEN/ADV-2007-0031: OpenOffice ReadEnhWMF() and ReadRecordParams() Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
- VUPEN/ADV-2007-0059: Sun StarOffice/StarSuite WMF/EMF File Handling Client-Side Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
- Canonical Ubuntu 5.10
- Canonical Ubuntu 6.06 LTS
- Debian Debian Linux 3.1
- Gentoo Linux
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 3.0
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 3.0 X86_64
- Novell Linux Desktop 9
- Novell OpenSUSE 10.2
- Novell SLE SDK 10
- OpenOffice OpenOffice.org 1.1.5
- OpenOffice OpenOffice.org 2.0.4
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 Desktop
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 AS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 ES
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 WS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 ES
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 Desktop
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 AS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 WS
- Sun StarOffice 6.0
- Sun StarOffice 7.0
- Sun StarOffice 8.0
- SUSE SuSE Linux 10.0
- SUSE SuSE Linux 10.1
- SUSE SuSE Linux 9.3
- SuSE SuSE SLED 10
Jan 03, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.