PowerArchiver LoadTree() and ReadHeader() buffer overflow
|powerarchiver-loadtree-readheader-bo (31263)||High Risk|
PowerArchiver is vulnerable to a stack-based buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking by the LoadTree() and ReadHeader() functions in PAISO.DLL. By creating a specially-crafted ISO image containing files with overly long pathnames, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system, if the attacker could convince the victim to open the malicious ISO image.
Upgrade to the latest version of PowerArchiver (9.64.03 or later), available from the PowerArchiver Web site. See References.
- PowerArchiver Web site: PowerArchiver 2006 - Download.
- vuln.sg Vulnerability Research Advisory: PowerArchiver PAISO.DLL Buffer Overflow Vulnerability.
- BID-21867: PowerArchiver PAISO.DLL ISO File Handling Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2007-0097: Multiple stack-based buffer overflows in the (1) LoadTree and (2) ReadHeader functions in PAISO.DLL 22.214.171.124 (1.7.3 beta) in ConeXware PowerArchiver 2006 9.64.02 allow user-assisted attackers to execute arbitrary code via a crafted ISO file containing a file within several nested directories.
- OSVDB ID: 32576: PowerArchiver PAISO.DLL ISO File Handling Overflow
- SA23559: PowerArchiver PAISO.DLL ISO File Handling Buffer Overflow
- PowerArchiver PowerArchiver prior to 9.64.03
Jan 04, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.