Kaspersky Lab`s Antivirus PE header file denial of service
|kaspersky-antivirus-pe-dos (31315)||Medium Risk|
Kaspersky Lab's Antivirus is vulnerable to a denial of service. A remote attacker could send a specially-crafted PE (portable executable) file, containing an invalid value in the NumberOfRvaAndSizes header field, to cause the scanning engine to enter into an infinite loop and consume all available system resources.
Denial of Service
Kaspersky Lab has issued a fix which is included in the regular automatic update, available to all Kaspersky Lab's Antivirus users.
- iDefense Labs PUBLIC ADVISORY: 01.05.07: Kaspersky Antivirus Scan Engine PE File Denial of Service Vulnerability.
- Kaspersky Lab's Antivirus Web site: Antivirus Software with Antispyware for Home Computer Security.
- BID-21901: Kaspersky AntiVirus Scan Engine PE File Denial Of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2007-0125: Kaspersky Labs Antivirus Engine 6.0 for Windows and 5.5-10 for Linux before 20070102 enter an infinite loop upon encountering an invalid NumberOfRvaAndSizes value in the Optional Windows Header of a portable executable (PE) file, which allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (CPU consumption) by scanning a crafted PE file.
- OSVDB ID: 32588: Kaspersky Anti-Virus PE File Handling DoS
- SA23575: Kaspersky Antivirus PE File Handling Denial of Service
- SECTRACK ID: 1017476: Kaspersky Anti-Virus Scanning Engine PE File Infinite Loop Lets Remote Users Deny Service
- Kaspersky Kaspersky Anti-Virus 5.5-10 for Linux
- Kaspersky Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0 and prior
Jan 05, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.