xine-ui errors_create_window() format string
|xineui-errorscreatewindow-format-string (31505)||High Risk|
xine-ui could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary commands on the system, caused by a format string vulnerability in the errors_create_window() function. An attacker could exploit this vulnerability by creating a specially-crafted playlist file containing malicious format string specifiers, which could allow the attacker to execute arbitrary commands on the vulnerable system or cause the application to crash, if the attacker could persuade the victim to load the malicious file.
For Mandriva Linux:
Refer to MDKSA-2007:027 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Thu Jan 11 2007 - 09:25:01 CST : Xine-ui format string Vulnerabilties..
- xine Web site: xine - A Free Video Player.
- BID-22002: Xine Errors.C Remote Format String Vulnerability
- CVE-2007-0254: Format string vulnerability in the errors_create_window function in errors.c in xine-ui allows attackers to execute arbitrary code via unknown vectors.
- GLSA-200701-18: xine-ui: Format string vulnerabilities
- MDKSA-2007:027: Updated xine-ui packages fix vulnerabilities
- MDKSA-2007:154: Updated xine-ui packages fix denial of service and arbitrary code execution
- OSVDB ID: 31594: xine-ui errors.c errors_create_window Format String
- SA23709: xine-ui "errors_create_window()" Format String Vulnerability
- Gentoo Linux
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007.1 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007.1
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 3.0 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 3.0
- xine-Project xine-ui 0.99.4 and prior
Jan 11, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.