Outpost Firewall PRO ZWSetInformationFile privilege escalation
|outpostfirewall-zwset-privilege-escalation (31529)||High Risk|
Outpost Firewall PRO could allow a local attacker to gain elevated privileges, caused by a vulnerability in the API ZWSetInformationFile class FileLinkInformation. A local attacker could create a specially-crafted application to replace the SandBox.sys driver and execute arbitrary code with SYSTEM privileges when the system is rebooted.
No remedy available as of September 1, 2014.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Mon Jan 15 2007 - 14:19:25 CST : Outpost Bypassing Self-Protection using file links Vulnerability.
- Outpost Firewall PRO Web site: Outpost Firewall PRO - Personal Firewall.
- BID-22069: Outpost Firewall PRO Local Privilege Escalation Vulnerability
- CVE-2007-0333: Agnitum Outpost Firewall PRO 4.0 allows local users to bypass access restrictions and insert Trojan horse drivers into the product's installation directory by creating links using FileLinkInformation requests with the ZwSetInformationFile function, as demonstrated by modifying SandBox.sys.
- OSVDB ID: 33480: Outpost Firewall PRO FileLinkInformation Request ZwSetInformationFile Function Local Privilege Escalation
- Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro 4.0.
Jan 15, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.