Automounter daemon buffer overflow can lead to remote root access
|amd-bo (3171)||High Risk|
The Automounter daemon (amd) is vulnerable to a buffer overflow in the mount code. The amd daemon responds to attempts to access files by automatically mounting file systems on which those files reside. By passing a long string to the AMQPROC_MOUNT procedure, a remote attacker can overflow the buffer and gain root privileges on the system.
Upgrade to the latest version of amd-utils (6.0.1 or later), as listed in CERT Advisory CA-1999-12. See References.
As a workaround, disable the amd daemon. However, this may prevent your system from operating normally.
For Red Hat Linux 6.0:
Upgrade to the latest version of am-utils (6.01S11-1 or later), as listed in RHSA-1999:032-01. See References.
For Caldera OpenLinux 2.2:
Upgrade to the latest version of am-utils (6.0-7 or later), as listed in Caldera Systems, Inc. Security Advisory CSSA-1999:024.0. See References.
For BSDI (BSD/OS 4.0.1 and 3.1):
Apply the mods M410-017 for 4.0.1 and M310-057 patch, as listed in CERT Advisory CA-99-12. See References.
Upgrade to the latest version of FreeBSD (3.3-RELEASE or later), as listed in FreeBSD, Inc. Security Advisory FreeBSD-SA-99:06. See References.
— OR —
Apply the patch for this vulnerability, as listed in FreeBSD, Inc. Security Advisory FreeBSD-SA-99:06. See References.
For Debian Linux 2.1:
Upgrade to the latest version of amd (upl102-23.slink2 or later), as listed in Debian Security Advisory 19991018a. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- BSDI Internet Super Server 4.0.1 Mods (patches): BSDI Mod M401-017.
- Caldera International, Inc. Security Advisory CSSA-1999-024.0: buffer overflow in amd.
- CERT Advisory CA-1999-12: Buffer Overflow in amd.
- CIAC Information Bulletin J-071: Buffer Overflow Vulnerability in amd.
- Debian Security Advisory 19991018a: amd: Buffer overflow in amd -- update.
- FreeBSD Security Advisory FreeBSD-SA-99:06: remote amd attack.
- RHSA-1999:032-01: Buffer overrun in amd.
- BID-614: Multiple Vendor amd Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-1999-0704: Buffer overflow in Berkeley automounter daemon (amd) logging facility provided in the Linux am-utils package and others.
- OSVDB ID: 159: amd AMQPROC_MOUNT Procedure Remote Overflow
- Compaq Tru64
- Data General DG/UX
- Debian Debian Linux
- FreeBSD FreeBSD
- HP HP-UX
- IBM AIX
- Linux Kernel
- RedHat Linux 4.2
- RedHat Linux 5.2
- RedHat Linux 6.0
- SCO Caldera OpenLinux
- SCO SCO Unix
- SGI IRIX
- Sun Solaris
- WindRiver BSDOS 3.1
- WindRiver BSDOS 4.0
- WindRiver BSDOS 4.0.1
- WindRiver BSDOS
Aug 30, 1999
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this