IBM AIX Mail Services rlogin security bypass
|aix-mailservices-rlogin-security-bypass (31875)||Medium Risk|
IBM AIX Mail Services could allow a remote attacker to bypass security restrictions caused by improper validation of user-supplied passwords in the pop3d, pop3ds, imapd and imapds services. If the rlogin value is false for an account, a remote attacker could bypass security restrictions and gain access to the mail account.
Apply the fix for this vulnerability (pop3d_ifix.tar.Z), available from the IBM AIX FTP site. See References.
- IBM AIX FTP site: IBM AIX.
- IBM APAR IY93084: PROBLEM WITH PASSWORD VERIFICATION IN POP3 SERVICE.
- BID-22262: IBM AIX Pop3D/Pop3DS/IMapD/IMapDS Authentication Bypass Vulnerability
- CVE-2007-0618: Unspecified vulnerability in (1) pop3d, (2) pop3ds, (3) imapd, and (4) imapds in IBM AIX 5.3.0 has unspecified impact and attack vectors, involving an authentication vulnerability.
- OSVDB ID: 41172: IBM AIX bos.net.tcp.server Multiple Mail Services Unspecified Authentication Issue
- SA23957: IBM AIX Mail Services Authentication Vulnerability
- VUPEN/ADV-2007-0382: IBM AIX Mail Services rlogin Attribute Handling Password Verification Bypass Issue
- IBM AIX 5.3
Jan 29, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.