Wireshark (Ethereal) IEEE dissector denial of service
|wireshark-ieeedissector-dos (32055)||Medium Risk|
Wireshark (formerly known as Ethereal) is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by an unspecified error in the IEEE 802.11 dissector. A remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability using a malformed packet or trace file to cause the IEEE dissector to crash.
Denial of Service
Upgrade to the latest version of Wireshark (0.99.5 or later), as listed in Wireshark Security Advisory wnpa-sec-2007-01. See References.
For Mandriva Linux:
Refer to MDKSA-2007:033 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For Red Hat Linux (wireshark):
Refer to RHSA-2007:0114 or RHSA-2007:0066 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- wnpa-sec-2007-01: Multiple problems in Wireshark (formerly Ethereal®) versions 0.10.14 to 0.99.4.
- ASA-2007-166: wireshark security update (RHSA-2007-0066)
- BID-22352: Wireshark Multiple Protocol Denial of Service Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2007-0457: Unspecified vulnerability in the IEEE 802.11 dissector in Wireshark (formerly Ethereal) 0.10.14 through 0.99.4 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (application crash) via unspecified vectors.
- MDKSA-2007:033: Updated wireshark packages fix multiple vulnerabilities
- OSVDB ID: 33074: Wireshark IEEE 802.11 Dissector Unspecified DoS
- RHSA-2007-0066: Low: wireshark security update
- SA24016: Wireshark Multiple Denial of Service Vulnerabilities
- SA24970: Avaya Products Wireshark Multiple Denial of Service Vulnerabilities
- SECTRACK ID: 1017581: Wireshark Bugs in TCP, HTTP, IEEE 802.11, and LLT Dissectors Let Remote Users Deny Service
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 4.0 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 4.0
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 2.1 WS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 2.1 ES
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 2.1 AS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 Desktop
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 ES
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 WS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 AS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 ES
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 Desktop
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 AS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 WS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 Client
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 5
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 Client Workstation
- RedHat Enterprise Linux Desktop 5.0
- RedHat Linux Advanced Workstation 2.1 Itanium
- Wireshark Wireshark prior to 0.99.5
Feb 01, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this