Cisco IOS IPS fragmented IP packet security bypass
|cisco-ios-ips-security-bypass (32473)||Medium Risk|
The Cisco IOS Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) feature set could allow a remote attacker to bypass certain IPS signatures that use regular expressions, caused by improper handling of fragmented IP packets. If the IPS feature set is enabled, a remote attacker could send specially-crafted fragmented IP packets to bypass signature detection and possibly gain unauthorized access to protected systems.
Refer to cisco-sa-20070213-iosips for upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
- cisco-sa-20070213-iosips: Cisco Security Advisory: Multiple IOS IPS Vulnerabilities.
- BID-22549: Cisco IOS Intrusion Prevention System Multiple Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2007-0917: The Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) feature for Cisco IOS 12.4XE to 12.3T allows remote attackers to bypass IPS signatures that use regular expressions via fragmented packets.
- OSVDB ID: 33052: Cisco IOS IPS Fragmented Packet Signature Bypass
- SA24142: Cisco IOS IPS Security Bypass and Denial of Service
- SECTRACK ID: 1017631: Cisco IOS IPS Feature Set Lets Remote Users Deny Service or Evade Intrusion Detection
- Cisco IOS 12.3
- Cisco IOS 12.3T
- Cisco IOS 12.3XQ
- Cisco IOS 12.3XR
- Cisco IOS 12.3XS
- Cisco IOS 12.3XW
- Cisco IOS 12.3XX
- Cisco IOS 12.3XY
- Cisco IOS 12.3YA
- Cisco IOS 12.3YD
- Cisco IOS 12.3YG
- Cisco IOS 12.3YH
- Cisco IOS 12.3YI
- Cisco IOS 12.3YJ
- Cisco IOS 12.3YK
- Cisco IOS 12.3YM
- Cisco IOS 12.3YQ
- Cisco IOS 12.3YS
- Cisco IOS 12.3YT
- Cisco IOS 12.3YX
- Cisco IOS 12.3YZ
- Cisco IOS 12.4
- Cisco IOS 12.4MR
- Cisco IOS 12.4T
- Cisco IOS 12.4XA
- Cisco IOS 12.4XB
- Cisco IOS 12.4XE
Feb 13, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.