SmidgeonSoft PEBrowse Professional files in PE format buffer overflow
|smidgeonsoft-files-bo (32524)||High Risk|
SmidgeonSoft PEBrowse Professional is vulnerable to a buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking of files in PE format. By persuading a victim to open a specially-crafted file, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system. An attacker could exploit this vulnerability by sending the malicious file to a victim as an email attachment or by hosting it on a Web site.
Upgrade to the latest version of PEBrowse Professional (8.2.3 or later), available from the SmidgeonSoft Web site. See References.
- PEBrowse Professional Web page: PEBrowse Professional - Windows Disassembler.
- SmidgeonSoft Web site: Windows Debugger, Disassembler, Code Analyzers.
- BID-22501: SmidgeonSoft PEBrowse Remote Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2007-0879: Buffer overflow in SmidgeonSoft PEBrowse Professional 22.214.171.124 allows user-assisted remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via certain executable files in PE format. NOTE: the provenance of this information is unknown; the details are obtained solely from third party information.
- OSVDB ID: 38134: PEBrowse Professional PE File Handling Overflow
- SmidgeonSoft SmidgeonSoft PEBrowse Professional 126.96.36.199 and prior
Feb 09, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.