GnuCash multiple temporary files symlink
|gnucash-symlink (32558)||Medium Risk|
GnuCash could allow a local attacker to launch a symlink attack. GnuCash creates temporary files insecurely. A local attacker could exploit this vulnerability to create or overwrite arbitrary files on the system with the privileges of the user.
Upgrade to the latest version of GnuCash (2.0.5 or later), available from the GnuCash Web site. See References.
For Mandriva Linux (gnucash):
Refer to MDKSA-2007:046 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
- GnuCash Web site: Open Source Accounting Software | GnuCash.
- SourceForge.net: Gnucash - File Release Notes and Changelog- Release Name: 2.0.5.
- BID-22610: GNUCash Insecure Temporary File Creation Vulnerability
- CVE-2007-0007: gnucash 2.0.4 and earlier allows local users to overwrite arbitrary files via a symlink attack on the (1) gnucash.trace, (2) qof.trace, and (3) qof.trace.[PID] temporary files.
- OSVDB ID: 33224: GnuCash Multiple trace File Symlink Arbitrary File Overwrite
- SA24225: GnuCash Insecure Temporary Files
- GnuCash Project GnuCash prior to 2.0.5
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007 X86_64
Feb 19, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.