News File Grabber NZB file buffer overflow
|newsfilegrabber-nzb-bo (32577)||High Risk|
News File Grabber is vulnerable to a buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking of NZB files. By sending a specially-crafted NZB file with an overly long subject field, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system with SYSTEM privileges, if the attacker could persuade the victim to open the malicious NZB file and view articles or message headers.
No remedy available as of September 1, 2014.
- News File Grabber Web site: News File Grabber - Download - The Binary-Downloader for Usenet-Newsgroups.
- BID-22617: News File Grabber Subject Line Stack Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2007-1037: Stack-based buffer overflow in News File Grabber 18.104.22.168 and earlier allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a .nzb file with a long subject field. NOTE: the provenance of this information is unknown; the details are obtained solely from third party information.
- OSVDB ID: 33252: News File Grabber NZB File Subject Field Overflow
- SA24237: News File Grabber NZB File Processing Code Execution
- Microsoft Windows Vista
- rsbr Software News File Grabber 22.214.171.124
Feb 20, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.