Macrovision InstallFromTheWeb ActiveX buffer overflow
|macrovision-installfromtheweb-activex-bo (32645)||High Risk|
The InstallShield (formerly Macrovision) InstallFromTheWeb ActiveX control (iftw.dll) and plug-in for Netscape (npiftw32.dll) are vulnerable to multiple unspecified buffer overflows. By persuading a victim to visit a specially-crafted Web page or open a specially-crafted HTML email, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and cause the victim's browser to crash or execute arbitrary code on the system with the privileges of the victim.
No remedy available as of September 1, 2014.
- InstallShield Web site: InstallShield.
- CVE-2007-0320: Multiple buffer overflows in (a) an ActiveX control (iftw.dll) and (b) Netscape plug-in (npiftw32.dll) for Macrovision (formerly InstallShield) InstallFromTheWeb allow remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via crafted HTML documents.
- OSVDB ID: 33530: Macrovision InstallShield InstallFromTheWeb iftw.dll ActiveX Remote Overflow
- OSVDB ID: 33531: Macrovision InstallShield InstallFromTheWeb Netscape Plug-in (npiftw32.dll) Remote Overflow
- SA24285: InstallShield InstallFromTheWeb Multiple Buffer Overflows
- US-CERT VU#181041: Macrovision / InstallShield InstallFromTheWeb buffer overflows
- Macrovision InstallFromTheWeb
Feb 22, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.