Macrovision FLEXnet Connect Update Service Web Agent ActiveX control download method buffer overflow
|macrovision-updateservice-activex-bo (32678)||High Risk|
Macrovision FLEXnet Connect (formerly InstallShield Update Service) is vulnerable to a buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking by the (isusweb.dll) Macrovision Update Service Web Agent ActiveX control's Download method. By creating a specially-crafted Web page or HTML email, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system with the victim's privileges, if the attacker could persuade the victim to open the malicious Web page or HTML email.
Upgrade to the latest version of FLEXnet Connect (6.1 SDK or later), or install a new version of FLEXnet Connect 6.0, available from the Macrovision Web site. See References.
- FLEXnet Connect Web site: FLEXnet Connect - Support Software Updates - Macrovision.
- CVE-2007-0321: Buffer overflow in the Update Service Agent ActiveX Control in isusweb.dll for Macrovision FLEXnet Connect (formerly InstallShield Update Service) allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via the Download method.
- OSVDB ID: 33532: Macrovision FLEXnet Connect Update Service Agent isusweb.dll Overflow
- OSVDB ID: 39980: Macrovision InstallShield Update Service Web Agent ActiveX DownloadAndExecute Method Arbitrary Code Execution
- SA24270: Macrovision FLEXnet Connect Update Service Agent Buffer Overflow
- US-CERT VU#847993: Macrovision FLEXnet Connect / InstallShield Update Service Agent ActiveX buffer overflows
- Macrovision FLEXnet Connect
Feb 23, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.