Clam AntiVirus chm_decompress_stream() denial of service
|clamav-chmdecompressstream-dos (33636)||Medium Risk|
Clam AntiVirus is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by a file descriptor leak in the chm_decompress_stream() function. By sending a specially-crafted CHM file, a remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to crash the vulnerable system.
Denial of Service
Upgrade to the latest version of Clam AntiVirus (0.90.2 or later), available from SourceForge.net: Files. See References.
For Gentoo Linux:
Refer to GLSA 200704-21 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For Debian Linux (clamav):
Refer to DSA-1281-1 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For Mandriva Linux (clamav):
Refer to MDKSA-2007:098 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For Mac OS X:
Apply Security Update 2008-002, available from the Apple Web site. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- Apple Web site: About Security Update 2008-002.
- SourceForge.net: Files: Clam AntiVirus - File Release Notes and Changelog - Release Name: 0.90.2.
- BID-23473: ClamAV Multiple Remote Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2007-1745: The chm_decompress_stream function in libclamav/chmunpack.c in Clam AntiVirus (ClamAV) before 0.90.2 leaks file descriptors, which has unknown impact and attack vectors involving a crafted CHM file, a different vulnerability than CVE-2007-0897. NOTE: some of these details are obtained from third party information.
- DSA-1281: clamav -- several vulnerabilities
- GLSA-200704-21: ClamAV: Multiple vulnerabilities
- MDKSA-2007:098: Updated clamav packages fix vulnerabilities
- OSVDB ID: 34913: Clam AntiVirus libclamav/chmunpack.c chm_decompress_stream Function File Descriptor Leak
- SA24891: Clam AntiVirus Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SA29420: Mac OS X Security Update Fixes Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SUSE-SA:2007:026: clamav 0.90.2 security update
- Apple Mac OS X Server 10.4.11
- ClamAV ClamAV 0.90.1 and prior
- Debian Debian Linux 3.1
- Debian Debian Linux 4.0
- Gentoo Linux
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007.1 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007.1
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2008.0 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 3.0 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 3.0
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 4.0 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 4.0
- Novell Linux POS 9
- Novell Open Enterprise Server
- Novell Open Enterprise Server
- Novell OpenSUSE 10.2
- SUSE SuSE Linux 9.3
- SuSE SuSE SLES 10
- SuSE SuSE SLES 9
Apr 12, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this