Gentoo Courier-IMAP command execution
|gentoo-courier-imap-command-execution (33805)||High Risk|
Gentoo Courier-IMAP could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary commands on the system caused by improper handling of the XMAILDIR variable in courier-imapd.indirect and courier-pop3d.indirect. A remote attacker could login using specially-crafted login data and execute arbitrary commands on the system with root privileges.
Refer to GLSA 200704-18 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
- BID-23589: Courier-IMAP XMAILDIR Shell Command Injection Vulnerability
- CVE-2007-2173: Eval injection vulnerability in (1) courier-imapd.indirect and (2) courier-pop3d.indirect in Courier-IMAP before 4.0.6-r2, and 4.1.x before 4.1.2-r1, on Gentoo Linux allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary commands via the XMAILDIR variable, related to the LOGINRUN variable.
- GLSA-200704-18: Courier-IMAP: Remote execution of arbitrary code
- OSVDB ID: 35274: Gentoo courier-imap XMAILDIR Variable Remote Command Injection
- SA24963: Gentoo courier-imap "XMAILDIR" Variable Command Injection
- Courier-MTA Courier-IMAP 4.0.0
- Courier-MTA Courier-IMAP 4.0.1
- Courier-MTA Courier-IMAP 4.0.2
- Courier-MTA Courier-IMAP 4.0.3
- Courier-MTA Courier-IMAP 4.0.4
- Courier-MTA Courier-IMAP 4.0.5
- Courier-MTA Courier-IMAP 4.1.0
- Courier-MTA Courier-IMAP 4.1.1
- Gentoo Linux
Apr 22, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.