AFFLIB multiple shell command execution
|afflib-multiple-command-execution (33964)||High Risk|
AFFLIB and applications using the affected library could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary commands on the system, caused by improper validation of user-supplied input by the tools/afconvert.cpp or the aimage/ident.cpp file. An attacker could inject arbitrary shell commands via various parameters containing shell metacharacters, which would allow the attacker to execute arbitrary commands on the system.
No remedy available as of June 1, 2013.
- AFFLIB Web site: AFF: The Advanced Forensic Format.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Fri Apr 27 2007 - 12:40:12 CDT : AFFLIB(TM): Multiple Shell Metacharacter Injections.
- CVE-2007-2055: AFFLIB 2.2.8 and earlier allows attackers to execute arbitrary commands via shell metacharacters involving (1) certain command line parameters in tools/afconvert.cpp and (2) arguments to the get_parameter function in aimage/ident.cpp. NOTE: it is unknown if the get_parameter vector (2) is ever called.
- OSVDB ID: 35608: AFFLIB tools/afconvert.cpp Arbitrary Local Command Execution
- Simson Garfinkel and Basis Technology Corp AFFLIB 2.2.8
Apr 27, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.