X.Org Xrender extension denial of service
|xorg-xrender-dos (33976)||Medium Risk|
The X.Org X Window System Xrender extension is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by a divide-by-zero error in the XRenderCompositeTrapezoids and XRenderAddTraps functions. A remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to cause the Xserver to crash.
Denial of Service
Upgrade to the latest version of X.Org Server (7.2 with Xserver 1.3.1 or later), available from the X.Org Foundation Web site. See References.
For Solaris (xorg):
Refer to Sun Alert ID: 102901 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- Rapid7 Advisory R7-0027: Denial-of-Service in the Xrender Extension's Trapezoid Drawing Routines.
- Sun Alert ID: 102901: Xorg(1) Contains a Denial of Service Within the X Render Extension's Trapezoid Rendering.
- Sun Alert ID: 200067: Xorg(1) Contains a Denial of Service Within the X Render Extension's Trapezoid Rendering.
- X.Org Foundation Web site: X.Org Wiki - Home.
- BID-23741: X.Org X Window System Xserver XRender Extension Divide by Zero Denial of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2007-2437: The X render (Xrender) extension in X.org X Window System 7.0, 7.1, and 7.2, with Xserver 1.3.0 and earlier, allows remote authenticated users to cause a denial of service (daemon crash) via crafted values to the (1) XRenderCompositeTrapezoids and (2) XRenderAddTraps functions, which trigger a divide-by-zero error.
- OSVDB ID: 34905: X.Org X Window System (X11) Multiple XRender Function Remote DoS
- SA25121: Solaris Xorg X Render Extension Denial of Service
- SECTRACK ID: 1017984: X Divide By Zero Error in Xrender Extension Lets Users Deny Service
- VUPEN/ADV-2007-1601: X.Org X11 XRender Extension XRenderAddTraps() Denial of Service Vulnerability
- VUPEN/ADV-2007-1658: Sun Solaris X Render Extension Trapezoid Rendering Denial of Service Vulnerability
- Sun Solaris 10 x86
- Sun Solaris 10
- Sun Solaris 9 x86
- Sun Solaris 9
- X.Org X.Org Server 7.0
- X.Org X.Org Server 7.1
- X.Org X.Org Server 7.2
- X.Org Xserver 1.3.0
Apr 30, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.