Trillian CTCP PING information disclosure
|trillian-ctcpping-information-disclosure (33983)||Low Risk|
Trillian could allow a remote attacker to obtain sensitive information, caused by an error in the IRC module. An attacker could exploit this vulnerability by sending an overly long UTF-8 encoded CTCP PING message to obtain sensitive information.
Upgrade to the latest version of Trillian (184.108.40.206 or later), available from the Trillian Web site. See References.
- iDefense Labs PUBLIC ADVISORY: 04.30.07: Cerulean Studios Trillian Multiple IRC Vulnerabilities.
- Trillian Web site: Cerulean Studios: Creators of Trillian and Trillian Pro Instant Messengers.
- BID-23730: Cerulean Studios Trillian Multiple IRC Module UTF-8 Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2007-2479: Cerulean Studios Trillian Pro before 220.127.116.11 allows remote attackers to obtain potentially sensitive information via long CTCP PING messages that contain UTF-8 characters, which generates a malformed response that is not truncated by a newline, which can cause portions of a server message to be sent to the attacker.
- OSVDB ID: 35722: Trillian Crafted UTF-8 Character CTCP PING Message Remote Information Disclosure
- SA25086: Trillian Information Leakage and Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
- SECTRACK ID: 1017982: Trillian IRC and Display Engine Heap Overflows Let Remote Users Execute Arbitrary Code
- VUPEN/ADV-2007-1596: Cerulean Studios Trillian Code Execution and Information Disclosure Vulnerabilities
- Trillian Trillian prior to 18.104.22.168
Apr 30, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.