Trillian IRC font face buffer overflow
|trillian-fontface-bo (33986)||High Risk|
Trillian is vulnerable to a heap-based buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking by the IRC module. By sending a specially-crafted message containing an overly long UTF-8 encoded font face attribute, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system or cause the application to crash.
Upgrade to the latest version of Trillian (188.8.131.52 or later), available from the Trillian Web site. See References.
- iDefense Labs PUBLIC ADVISORY: 04.30.07: Cerulean Studios Trillian Multiple IRC Vulnerabilities.
- Trillian Web site: Cerulean Studios: Creators of Trillian and Trillian Pro Instant Messengers.
- BID-23730: Cerulean Studios Trillian Multiple IRC Module UTF-8 Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2007-2478: Multiple heap-based buffer overflows in the IRC component in Cerulean Studios Trillian Pro before 184.108.40.206 allow remote attackers to corrupt memory and possibly execute arbitrary code via (1) a URL with a long UTF-8 string, which triggers the overflow when the user highlights it, or (2) a font HTML tag with a face attribute containing a long UTF-8 string.
- OSVDB ID: 35721: Trillian Pro IRC Component UTF-8 String Handling Multiple Overflows
- SA25086: Trillian Information Leakage and Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
- SECTRACK ID: 1017982: Trillian IRC and Display Engine Heap Overflows Let Remote Users Execute Arbitrary Code
- Trillian Trillian prior to 220.127.116.11
Apr 30, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.