QEMU icebp instruction denial of service
|qemu-icebp-dos (34043)||Medium Risk|
QEMU is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by an error in the icebp instruction. A local attacker could exploit this vulnerability by executing the icebp instruction to cause the virtual machine to crash.
Denial of Service
For Debian GNU/Linux:
Refer to DSA-1284-1 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- QEMU Web site: QEMU.
- Tavis Ormandy White paper: An Empirical Study into the Security Exposures to Hosts of Hostile Virtualized Environments.
- BID-23731: QEMU Multiple Local Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2007-1322: QEMU 0.8.2 allows local users to halt a virtual machine by executing the icebp instruction.
- DSA-1284: qemu -- several vulnerabilities
- MDVSA-2008:162: qemu
- OSVDB ID: 35496: QEMU icebp Instruction Unauthorized Virtual Machine Termination Local DoS
- SA25073: QEMU Various Vulnerabilities
- SA29129: KVM Block Device Backend Security Bypass
- Debian Debian Linux 3.1
- Debian Debian Linux 4.0
- Fabrice Bellard QEMU 0.8.2
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2008.0
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2008.0 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2008.1
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2008.1 X86_64
May 01, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.