Multiple Symantec products NAVOpts.dll ActiveX control security bypass
|symantec-navopts-security-bypass (34200)||Medium Risk|
Multiple Symantec products could allow a remote authenticated attacker to bypass security restrictions, caused by a design error in the NAVOpts.dll ActiveX control. An attacker could exploit this vulnerability using a malicious Web site to bypass security restrictions and gain unauthorized access to other ActiveX controls that were not marked safe for Web use. It may be possible for an attacker to leverage this vulnerability to execute arbitrary code on the system.
Install the patch for this vulnerability, available through Symantec LiveUpdate. Refer to Symantec Security Advisory SYM07-005 for more information. See References.
- iDefense Labs PUBLIC ADVISORY: 05.09.07: Symantec Norton Internet Security 2006 COM Object Security ByPass Vulnerability.
- SYM07-005 : Symantec COM object security bypass .
- Symantec Web site: Symantec - LiveUpdate files.
- BID-23822: Symantec Norton Antivirus NAVOPTS.DLL ActiveX Control Remote Code Execution Vulnerability
- CVE-2006-3456: The Symantec NAVOPTS.DLL ActiveX control (aka Symantec.Norton.AntiVirus.NAVOptions) 220.127.116.11, as used in Norton AntiVirus, Internet Security, and System Works 2005 and 2006, is designed for use only in application-embedded web browsers, which allows remote attackers to crash the control via unspecified vectors related to content on a web site, and place Internet Explorer into a defunct state in which remote attackers can execute arbitrary code in addition to other Symantec ActiveX controls, regardless of whether they are marked safe for scripting. NOTE: this CVE was inadvertently used for an E-mail Auto-Protect issue, but that issue has been assigned CVE-2007-3771.
- OSVDB ID: 35075: Symantec Multiple Products NAVOpts.dll ActiveX Arbitrary Code Execution
- OSVDB ID: 36115: Symantec Multiple Products Internet Email Auto-Protect Outbound E-mail Handling Overflow
- SA25172: Symantec Products NAVOpts.dll ActiveX Control Security Bypass Vulnerability
- SECTRACK ID: 1018031: Norton Internet Security `NAVOPTS.DLL` ActiveX Control Lets Remote Users Execute Arbitrary Code
- Symantec Norton AntiVirus 2005
- Symantec Norton AntiVirus 2006
- Symantec Norton Internet Security 2005
- Symantec Norton Internet Security 2006
- Symantec Norton System Works 2005
- Symantec Norton System Works 2006
May 09, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.